Electricians In Syracuse, NY

Does Your Next House Have The Power You Need?

How many appliances you can operate at once is dependent on the size of your electrical service. A 200 amp service will allow you to operate numerous appliances at the same time, but a 60 amp service will not be able to power an electric hot water heater, electric stove, and hair dryer all at the same time. Look at the key components of your house’s electrical distribution system, such as the wire, the conduit, the metre, the panel, and the main breaker, to see which one has the lowest amperage rating. Its grade reflects the overall quality of your home’s electric service.

The distinction between amperage and voltage is the first thing a homeowner should examine. Electrical wiring may be compared to a garden hose in that the amps quantify how much electricity can flow at a particular period, comparable to the hose diameter, and the volts represent the water pressure. When you multiply the two, you get wattage, which is how most people estimate how much power their appliances consume.

The first thing a homeowner should look at is the difference between amperage and voltage. Electrical wiring may be compared to a garden hose in that the amps measure the amount of electricity that can flow at a given time, similar to the hose diameter, and the volts measure the water pressure. When you multiply the two, you get watts, which is the most common way for consumers to estimate how much electricity their gadgets use.

While less service isn’t inherently hazardous, it might come with other risks. Older homes may contain antiquated wiring, such as knob and tube, as well as a lack of outlets, prompting homeowners to create potentially unsafe extension cable networks. Because of the hazards that might come along with obsolete electrical installation, some insurers may refuse to cover houses with lower amperage.

Hiring a professional can help you determine if your new house has enough power for all your appliances. A house’s electric system reflects when it was built, or at the very least when it was last rewired. The number of new electrical appliances has kept pace with the rise in amps throughout time. Electrician will measure the diameter of the conduit in which the primary service wire is placed. The conduit is a pipe that comes into your house either from an underground main electric wire or from an above-ground main wire coming from a pole. They will check if the electricity metre has an amperage rating. After the inspection they can determine the electric capacity of your house.

If your house doesn’t have enough electricity you will need power upgradation. Replacing the present panel box with a bigger one is part of upgrading electrical service. Upgrading a panel will require a construction permit, a qualified electrician, the utility company, and a local building inspector will be involved in the project. Essentially, the utility will turn off the electricity to your property from the outside in order for the electrician to complete the changeover securely. The cabling from the old circuits will be reconnected to the new box by the electrician. They’ll also install additional wires to accommodate the extra appliances or addition.

Call Now Button